Software and Electronics
Share this job:
Senior Controls Engineer – West Midlands
Position: Senior/Lead Controls Engineer
Location: West Midlands
Salary: £55,000 – £65,000
A Senior/Lead Controls Engineer with experience of leading a small team of Controls Engineers is required to establish a standardised way of working relating to control system engineering.
The company works with an array of control systems such as Siemens, Allen Bradley, Beckhoff, designing and manufacturing bespoke automated solutions. The systems include one off machines and up to 15 machines for a complete cell. With multiple machines being commissioned, it requires a number of control engineers to each take responsibility for a machine, and the objective is to standardise the way software is written so a common approach is undertaken making it easier to integrate machines and share resource.
The role of Senior/Lead Controls Engineer will include the following:
- Working on machine sequencing.
- Creating Functional Design specification and Software Design Specifications.
- Responsibility for implementing a standardised the way in which PLC programs are written and coded.
- Create standardised function blocks.
- Programming PLC’s such as Siemens, Allen Bradley, Beckhoff, Omron. (Experience with all of these is not essential, others will also be considered)
- Controls engineer with any of the following industries will be considered – Warehouse automation, Pharmaceutical machinery, Packaging Machinery, Bespoke Automation and perhaps process industry.
The key requirement for this role is to develop and instil a standardised way to code and write ladder logic etc. in order to have a cohesive approach to PLC programming.
The suitable candidate for Senior/Lead Controls Engineer will need to possess the following skills and experience:
- Experienced Control/Software Engineer who has worked on complex machine sequencing.
- A continuous improvement mentality to seek out ways to improve PLC programming to speed up and improve machine/system functionality.
- A logical and methodical approach to PLC programming.
- The ability to work closely with the Control Engineering department to review how things are currently done and create a road map to standardise and improve the way machines are programmed.
- Confident and natural leadership skills are essential as is the ability to influence and train effectively.
This is a critical role at a time of significant growth for the business and this approach to best practice will have significant benefits to the business if the suitable candidate can deliver against the above requirements.
If you have the ability to deliver against these requirements, we would like to discuss your application in more detail. To apply for the Senior/Lead Controls Engineer vacancy, please email your up to date CV to Richard Heaton, Managing Consultant at Cartisian Technical Recruitment at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cartisian Technical Recruitment are a specialist recruitment agency sourcing engineers for Automation, Scientific Technologies, Automotive, General Engineering & Manufacturing sectors.
UK office: Central Boulevard, Blythe Valley Business Park, Solihull, Birmingham, UK.
Continental Europe office: River Garden, Rohanske Nabrezi, Prague, CZ